Saturday, July 25, 2009

World's Best Banana Cake

I thought I'd share with you my favourite cake recipe. I love it because it's delicious, easy and has some healthy ingredients! This recipe comes from a little gem of a book my mum gave me many years ago. It's the Catholic Women's League of Australia - Toowoomba Diocese Cook Book and this recipe is from Daphne Shankey of Roma. Thanks Daphne!
I've added cream cheese icing from another recipe which just makes it even better.
Banana Cake
Ingredients:
2 tsp lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1/3 cup
1 1/4 cup SR Flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
90 grams margarine (softened)
1 or 2 mashed ripe bananas
1 egg
1/3 cup walnuts
Method:
Grease 23cm sandwich or 20cm ring tin. Set oven at moderate 180C (350F) Leave lemon juice and mild about 5 minutes until milk thickens. Sift flour into large bowl, add sugar, soda and salt. Add softened margarine, banana and milk. Mix at low speed electric mixer or with wooden spoon. Add the egg and beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in walnuts. Bake in moderate oven 35 mins (approx). Cool in tin for 5 minutes then turn out.
Icing:
1 tbsp butter
125 g cream cheese
2 cups icing sugar
juice 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat together with electric mixer then top with more walnuts.



1 comment:

  1. May I substitute butter for margarine?Y ou just know I will have to get a conversion chart to figure out the metric measurements. Sounds yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete